Even though Easter is coming later this year, it is still coming too fast for me! I think the weather is partly to blame for my lack of Easter prep…it hasn’t felt like Spring! But with the Easter Bunny arriving this weekend, I better get myself in gear. One thing that is a ‘must have’ around here, as far as Easter candy goes, are peanut butter eggs. Chocolate covered, peanut butter filled, shaped like eggs….yes, please.
Are you looking for an easy and delicious Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch idea? This Baked Bacon & Eggs makes a large casserole dish full of cheese-y scrambled eggs, topped with bacon. They are probably the best eggs I’ve ever had!
I’ve never thought about cooking eggs in the oven, except as part of a breakfast casserole (which we are quite fond of as evidenced by this, this and this!) – but these are basically scrambled eggs baked in the oven! Convenience…I love it. I originally got the idea from when she posted her family’s recipe for ‘Christmas Eggs’. I decided I would make them for one of our many breakfast suppers. However, as per usual, I didn’t bother to read all of the instructions prior to making the dish. I realized I was supposed to let the egg mixture sit overnight. Oops. Time for plan B – I Googled baked eggs and found another recipe at that did not require sitting overnight. I kind of merged the 2 recipes and came out with a delicious dinner, that did not require sitting overnight!
Baked Bacon & Eggs
This recipe was featured at:
- Heat oven to required temp for your pizza…I think mine was 425. I pre-baked my crust for abt 7 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, scramble your eggs. Add salt and pepper as desired – just remember that if you are using bacon, it’s going to add a lot of salt. (I just used pepper.)
- When the crust has finished baking, remove from oven and add your cream cheese. Cover crust as you would with pizza sauce. You can add any seasonings you like as well.
- Add scrambled eggs on top of the cream cheese, place bacon or other toppings on top of eggs, top the whole pizza pie with cheese.
- Pop back into the oven until cheese is nice and melted and crust has completely cooked. This took about another 7 minutes for me.
Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix, mix, mix. It’s thick and difficult to incorporate, but keep at it and it will come together. Or, use a mixer/food processor. I didn’t try this, since I was working with a fairly small quantity. However, it only makes a few, so feel free to double the recipe. I wish I had!
- After mixing the ingredients together, form into ‘egg’ shapes, place on wax paper, and place in freezer to get nice and firm. I didn’t time this, but maybe 20-30 minutes? While the eggs are in the freezer, melt your chocolate (and oil/butter if needed) in a microwave safe bowl. (Place in microwave for 1 minute, stir well, continue heating in 30 second intervals until completely melted)
- When chocolate is melted, remove peanut butter eggs from freezer. Dip peanut butter into chocolate, one at a time, to coat. When peanut butter is completely covered in chocolate, place on wax paper to cool and harden. If the peanut butter starts to soften too much, put back in freezer.