If you have been on Pinterest or have been following my blog a while, you are probably familiar with the “bubble up” casseroles. I have made several over the years, and I see new variations popping up all the time. It’s basically a casserole made with cut up biscuits and your choice of meats, cheeses, veggies, you name it. However, now I’ve discovered a dessert version *insert big smiley face*. Biscuits and sugar. Carbs on carbs. You know it’s gonna be good!
It’s not super pretty, but you could dress it up with a powdered sugar or cream cheese drizzle. I had every intention of doing that…but it just didn’t last that long. You could also serve it with some vanilla or butter pecan
“Bubble Up” Apple Pie
1 (8-count) can of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits, cut into 8ths (I used reduced fat)
1 (21 ounce) can Apple Pie filling (I used the ‘no sugar added’ variety)
1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
*the original recipe called for 1 cup butterscotch chips, but I omitted*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Open can of pie filling and take a sharp knife and stir around the can to slice up apples (just so they are not in big chunks).
- Pour pie filling in a large bowl. Add biscuit pieces and apple pie spice. Stir.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Top with chopped nuts, if using.
- Bake 30 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned and cooked through (check the center for doneness)
- Remove from oven and cool slightly. Add glaze if desired. Serve warm or room temp.
recipe adapted from
This was a quick and easy dessert to throw together on a week night. In my opinion, it’s best served the same day it’s made, but leftovers can be stored in the fridge and re-heated in the microwave. I’m seeing different flavor combinations in my future…cherry pie filling with chocolate chips for a Black Forest bubble up…blueberry with lemon glaze….and I’m sure I will think of more!
Speaking of more – other Bubble Up recipes I’ve tried….
I may be linking up at any of the following – (Monday) , , , , (Tuesday) , , , ,,, , (Wednesday) , , , ,, , (Thursday) ,, , (Friday) , , , , , ,, , ,, , , (Saturday) ,