Ohhhh YES! Chocolate + Bourbon + Bread = one divine combination. Joy the Baker is a smart woman! The other day I had a few bananas that needed to get used up, (or frozen to make banana ice cream.) I, however, remembered I had pinned this fabulous banana bread recipe and I had some bourbon. (Thanks to my brother, who always gives me liquor for my bday since I refuse to go to the liquor store. Mainly b/c I am always dragging 1 to 3+ children around. BTW bro…bday coming up soon! *hint hint*) Which reminds me…OH MY LORDY, I’LL BE FORTY!!! Holy cow. But that is a different post altogether.
Back to the bread…it was amazing.
Chocolate Bourbon Spiked Banana Bread
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp *I used 1/4 cup Smart Balance Butter & 1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup sugar *I used 1/2 cup sugar & 1/2 cup Stevia
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas) *I didn’t have quite enough banana, so I added enough applesauce to equal 1 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli – roughly chopped since they are large chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. *I made 4 mini loaves.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the mashed banana, lemon juice, and bourbon and mix until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread to distribute it evenly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. *I think the mini loaves took about 30 minutes. We polished off 2 loaves pretty quickly, then I put 2 in the freezer…portion control!
Verdict – Delicious! It had a nice crusty outside, and was very moist on the inside – loaded with chocolate, mild banana, and a hint of bourbon! So.good.
I’m linking up this recipe with Holly’s Stamping Addiction
, Homemaker on a Dime
, Things that make you say: “mmmm”!,
, Delightfully Dowling
, Skip to my Lou
, Making the World Cuter
, The Dedicated House
, Optimistic Mommy
, Eat at Home
, Finding Joy in My Kitchen