I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for the SPLENDA® Brand. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation. All opinions and reviews are my own.
I, for one, am SO glad the summer season is upon us!! School is out, the heat index is rising, and it’s time to break out the pool floats, dust off the lounge chairs, and rinse out the coolers. Oh…and bathing suits. It’s time to break out the bathing suits…and for many of us (and by “us” I mean “me”), that can be majorly a little traumatic. BUT, the great thing about warm weather is that it is much easier to MOVE MORE! The blue sky, warm sun, and birds chirping just beckons us to get outside…maybe it’s working in the garden, walking around the block, yard work, etc. For my friends and family, it’s swimming, kayaking, boating, and now, paddle boarding!
This was my first time on a paddle board, and I was surprised by how easy it was! I was expecting it to be much harder to stay balanced. Of course, I kept a slow and steady pace, but it was fun! And obviously, after spending the day with friends swimming, kayaking and paddle boarding…you work up an appetite. And nothing is more important to a backyard barbecue than dessert. Am I right, or am I right?!
Thankfully, it’s also strawberry season!! We have several farmer’s markets nearby that offer freshly picked strawberries, or you can go pick the strawberries right out of the field yourself. Even my local grocery store (yes, that’s singular) has had some pretty good looking berries this year.
Since we had all spent the day in bathing suits (mine covered up by swim shorts and a tank), and getting some exercise in, the last thing we needed was a heavy, sugar laden dessert that would weigh us down…literally! I was happy to find a yummy recipe that fits nicely into our lifestyle.
You can save loads of calories by swapping out full sugar for SPLENDA®Sweetener Products. Being that my husband is diabetic, it is also nice to be able to make special treats that he can enjoy without all the sugar as well. *Fun Fact* Swapping one cup of sugar with one cup of No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated can save more than 600 calories.
Very Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit mix
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used homemade whipped cream)
- 12 sprigs mint sprigs (optional) (I omitted)
- Stir together strawberries, 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, and balsamic vinegar; let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine biscuit mix and 1/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, in a large bowl.
- Stir together yogurt and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Pat dough to a ½-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, reusing dough scraps, if necessary. Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm with sliced strawberries and whipped topping. Garnish with mint springs, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from . Check out SPLENDA® on for more great swaps and recipes.
What’s your favorite way to “move more” in the summer? Have you ever tried paddle boarding?