3-4 cups of cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup unsalted browned butter
1 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup skim milk
1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup (I’ve also made with Cream of Mushroom)
*I use this homemade Cream of Chicken recipe
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place butter in a 9×13 pan and put in oven while it is preheating, to melt and brown. Once butter is melted, watch for it to start turning brown. You will also probably start to smell it. It would be good to stir it a couple of times while it is browning, but I didn’t (b/c I forgot all about the butter being in the oven until I started smelling it!) You can also brown the butter on the stove, which will give you more control over even browning, and prevent burning. Once the butter has browned, remove from oven – be careful, it will spatter! You will see some little brown bits from the browned butter, this is okay.
- Shred the chicken and spread it on top of the butter.
- Whisk together the milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Pour over the chicken, but do not stir.
- Whisk together chicken broth and cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup.
- Pour over the top of casserole, again, do not stir.
Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes. It will start to brown in spots, and look thick and bubbly.
This is definitely going to make a regular appearance on our dinner table. As a matter of fact, I think I am going to make it again this week since I have some leftover crockpot beer chicken from last week. (update – I did, and it was delicious! The more flavorful your chicken, the better this dish is!)
Speaking of this week’s menu….we have 3 nights of volleyball games, un-solidified birthday plans (Number One is turning 12!) and now my little one has a terrible cold…so it will be interesting…and probably not in a good way. Wish me luck! You can check out the menu here.
I am linking this recipe up at (Monday) , , , ,, , , , , , , , (Tuesday) , , , , , , ,, , (Wednesday) , , , , , , , , (Thursday) , , , , , (Friday) , , , , , ,, , , , ,, (Saturday) , , , , (Sunday)
**I have had some people inquire about my casserole dish…it came from 🙂