I don’t know if it’s my Southern roots or what…but I do love a casserole! There is just something about having everything cook in one big ol’ dish that makes me happy. It may also be because I am one of those that likes to mix all my food together when I eat, unlike my brother, who likes to eat everything separately. (To the point that when he was young, NONE of his food could touch or he wouldn’t eat it!) Or, maybe I’m just a lazy cook and like to throw everything in together…whatever the reason, I think my love of casseroles is well established here on the blog. I mean seriously, there is Chicken Parmesan Casserole, Loaded Potato and Buffalo Chicken Casserole, Chicken and Dumpling Casserole…you get the picture.
Also, hashbrown casserole is one of my favorite dishes. I looove carbs potatoes. Are y’all Cracker Barrel fans? Awesome hashbrown casserole. I digress. This dish is Southern comfort food…pork chops, potatoes, cheese….yum. With a side of green beans of course. If you’ve followed for a while, then you know my sides are going to be green beans or salad. Every.Time.
You do brown your chops before placing the whole sha-bang in the oven…and this may not be absolutely necessary, but I recommend it for the best flavor. I wish I had browned mine a little more, but I hate dry meat and I am bad for overcooking pork. This recipe is from the Gooseberry Patch Big Book of Homecooking
cookbook via The Country Cook
. I lightened it up a little to make it more Weight Watchers friendly. (I’m not to list points b/c it will vary greatly depending on size of chops/ingredients used and it’s difficult to determine serving size with the potatoes.)
Pork Chop-Hashbrown Casserole
5 pork chops (I used bone-in approx 1/2 inch thick chops)
*seasonings for meat (I used Mrs. Dash original, salt, pepper)
*Cooking spray or oil to brown pork chops
1 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup skim milk
Frozen Hashbrowns (I used Ore-Ida Shredded Hashbrowns – whole bag, thawed)
Onion** (1 cup or to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup cheese (I used Kraft Fat Free Cheddar to reduce the WW points)
**I just sprinkled some dried onion over the top of my potatoes before adding the cheese b/c I knew my kids would not like a strong onion flavor.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season your pork chops as desired and place in a skillet to brown on both sides. (Do not cook completely through because they will finish cooking in the oven with the potatoes.)
- In a large bowl, combine your yogurt or sour cream, milk, and Cream of Chicken soup. Add your hashbrown potatoes (mine were not completely thawed and it was fine) and onion if using. Mix until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If you are using full fat ingredients, you may not need to season the potatoes very much. Mine needed plenty of salt and pepper!
- Spread your potatoes into an ungreased 9×13 casserole dish (the original recipe said ungreased…in using reduced fat/fat free products, I will probably spray mine with cooking spray next time. They didn’t stick much, but did a little.)
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Add pork chops on top of the cheese and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until pork chops are cooked through. (I usually use a meat thermometer b/c I’m a terrible judge.)
We enjoyed this meal and I plan on making it again. What about you? Are you a casserole fan?
Yay! This recipe was featured over at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage!
I may be linking up at any of the following – (Monday) The Tumbleweed Contessa, The Dedicated House, Homemaker on a Dime, Skip to my Lou, Making the World Cuter, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, This Gal Cooks, Watch Out, Martha!, Huckleberry Love, The Newlyweds Pilgrimage, Sowdering About in Seattle, Craft and Repeat (Tuesday) Naptime Creations, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Love in the Kitchen, Memories By the Mile,Inside BruCrew Life, Sarah Lynn’s Sweets, BeBetsy and VMG206, Twinkling Trees , Anyonita Nibbles (Wednesday) Fluster Buster, Mostly Homemade Mom, Adorned from Above, Lady Behind the Curtain, Ginger Snap Crafts, Naptime is My Time, The Real Thing with The Coake Family, Tessa the Domestic Diva (Thursday) Project Inspire ,Joyful Homemaking, Designed Decor, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, The Mandatory Mooch, Lamberts Lately, The Girl Creative (Friday) Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Simple Living and Eating, Just Us Four, Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo, Diana Rambles, The Better Baker,Craftionary, One Artsy Mama, The Best Blog Recipes, One Creative Mommy, Michelle’s Tasty Creations, Close to Home, 30 Handmade Days, A Peek Into My Paradise,The Jenny Evolution , Walking on Sunshine, Vintage Chic (Saturday) Or So She Says…, Six Sisters’ Stuff, It’s Overflowing, Made from Pinterest (Sunday) Mommy’s Sweet Confessions, Who Needs a Cape?, Sweet 2 Eat Baking;