This recipe is kickin’ it old school. It came out on the package of Duncan Hines cake mix back in the 70’s (according to this site it was 1978.) I was a mere babe back then and not yet baking, but I have been using a variation of it for years. I usually make a chocolate version (because I am a chocolate freak), but lemon/citrus cakes just scream SPRING and are quickly becoming a favorite as well. But if I’m being honest, have I met a cake I didn’t like? Probably not.
Lemon Supreme Pound Cake
1 box Lemon cake mix
1 package instant lemon pudding mix (4-serving size)
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (can also use milk, cream, half-and-half)
zest of lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a bundt pan (I used the Baker’s Cooking Spray), set aside.
- Add cake mix and pudding mix to a large mixing bowl. Add water, oil and eggs. Stir until combined.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake mix into prepared pan. Tap pan on counter a couple of times to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes; cake is done when lightly browned and center springs back when gently pressed. Cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, make glaze (if desired) by combing confectioners sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Slowly add in additional juice/liquid until desired consistency is reached. Mine ended up a little thinner than I would have liked, and could have been thickened up with more sugar, but I just left it as is. I also added the zest of a lemon to my glaze for extra lemon flavor.
- Invert cake onto plate and drizzle with glaze.
I may be linking up at any of the following – (Monday) The Tumbleweed Contessa, The Dedicated House, Skip to my Lou, I Should Be MoMypping the Floor, Huckleberry Love (Tuesday) Mandy’s Recipe Box, Sowdering About in Seattle, Naptime Creations, Memories By the Mile, VMG206, Anyonita Nibbles, The Cookie Puzzle (Wednesday) The Newlyweds Pilgrimage, Fluster Buster, Ginger Snap Crafts, Naptime is My Time, Tessa the Domestic Diva (Thursday) Joyful Homemaking, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Lamberts Lately (Friday) Project Inspire, Just Us Four, Diana Rambles, The Better Baker,Close to Home, Walking on Sunshine, Vintage Chic, Daily Dish, The Diary of a Real Housewife,Play.Party.Pin