- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey’s Dark)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used cinnamon, b/c it’s all we had!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt)
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water (I think coffee could be used here too)
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute (I used half Splenda and half xylitol) Update: I prefer to use half stevia or xylitol and half real sugar.
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (or use cupcake liners).
- Using a food processor (or a blender), blend all of the ingredients together except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth. (Note: grinding oats first, before adding other ingredients may make it easier to get a smooth consistency. I still had a few pieces of oats, but I was fine with that.)
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin pans. These aren’t going to rise a lot, so you can fill them pretty full for larger muffins, or about half to 2/3rds for the traditional VitaTop look. Add a few chocolate chips to each muffin cup (about half of them) to ensure each muffin has chips in it. (If you add them to the batter bowl, they all just sink to the bottom.) The other half of the chips will be added to the tops in the next step. If you don’t want any on top, add them all now.
- Place muffin tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from oven and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin. This just makes them look all pretty and like VitaTops.
- Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes (mine took 5-7), or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Source: Lady’s Little Loves
Thanks to DIY Vintage Chic for featuring this recipe!
I may be linking up at any of the following – (Monday) The Tumbleweed Contessa, The Dedicated House, Homemaker on a Dime, Skip to my Lou, Making the World Cuter, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, This Gal Cooks, Watch Out, Martha!, Huckleberry Love, The Newlyweds Pilgrimage, Sowdering About in Seattle, Craft and Repeat (Tuesday) Naptime Creations, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Love in the Kitchen, Memories By the Mile,Inside BruCrew Life, Sarah Lynn’s Sweets, BeBetsy and VMG206, Twinkling Trees , Anyonita Nibbles (Wednesday) Fluster Buster, Mostly Homemade Mom, Adorned from Above, Lady Behind the Curtain, Ginger Snap Crafts, Naptime is My Time, The Real Thing with The Coake Family, Tessa the Domestic Diva (Thursday) Project Inspire ,Joyful Homemaking, Designed Decor, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, The Mandatory Mooch, Lamberts Lately, The Girl Creative (Friday) Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Simple Living and Eating, Just Us Four, Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo, Diana Rambles, The Better Baker,Craftionary, One Artsy Mama, The Best Blog Recipes, One Creative Mommy, Michelle’s Tasty Creations, Close to Home, 30 Handmade Days, A Peek Into My Paradise,The Jenny Evolution , Walking on Sunshine, Vintage Chic (Saturday) Or So She Says…, Six Sisters’ Stuff, It’s Overflowing, Made from Pinterest (Sunday) Mommy’s Sweet Confessions, Who Needs a Cape?, Sweet 2 Eat Baking;