Since Mother Nature has decided we are still in full winter mode, I think it’s still the perfect time for the warmly spiced flavors of this granola. Actually I eat pumpkin year round, and this homemade granola is healthy and delicious. It’s also very easy to make, which is always a bonus.
My 11 year old loves to eat granola for breakfast, and I like to mix it in yogurt. Making it at home ensures that quality, wholesome ingredients are used, and it’s easily adapted to whatever you like and have on hand. And the best part about this granola?!
Pumpkin Spiced Gingerbread Granola
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup oil (I used a canola/olive oil blend)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat germ (I use Kretschmer Wheat Germ)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, molasses, oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, almond meal, chia seeds and nuts.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry, and stir until well coated.
- Spread granola out in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for approx 45 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes. If you want clumps, keep the stirring to a minimum (as in don’t stir it too aggressively, trying to keep some places undisturbed) but be sure to keep an eye on the edges as they will burn. Mine got a little over cooked, but just on the very edges.
- Allow granola to cool and store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Carla’s Confections
Now, onto the GIVEAWAY! Kretschmer Wheat Germ has agreed to provide 2 jars of wheat germ to a Makin’ it Mo’Betta reader. And WHY would you want to win jars of wheat germ?! Because it’s a nutrition power house! It’s a great way to add extra nutrition into your family’s diet, and it has such a nice nutty crunch. Also, it has only 50 calories per 2-tablespoon serving. Win-Win!
Per their website, Kretschmer Wheat Germ includes:
Vitamin E: This fat-soluble antioxidant helps to protect cells and tissues from damage and may ward off certain diseases.