To commemorate back-to-school for my girls, and entering Kindergarten for my little man, we had to have a little celebration. A par-tay if you will. And nothing says party in the Mo’Betta house better than CHOCOLATE. These bars start with a cake mix, so they are quick and easy, and you can add in anything you have in the baking drawer/cabinet/pantry (yes, I have baking supplies in all those places. #hoarder)
The original recipe was a cookie bar, but I reduced the fat by replacing some of the oil with applesauce, resulting in a more cake-like brownie texture, which is why I am just calling them Cake Mix Bars. With chocolate chunks, cookies and cream pieces, and M & M candies…they aren’t exactly low-fat…but hey, I tried. Sort of.
Not only were these bars quick and easy to make…there was very little clean up too. (Always an A+ in my book!) I used the new Chinet
Bakeware (9×11 pictured here) and Chinet dessert plates for serving. Yes, you read that right, Chinet now has bakeware
! Disposable pans that come in a variety of sizes, making any situation where you need to carry food somewhere, (or just needing easy clean-up!) very convenient! Each pan also comes with a lid, so transporting is so easy, and you don’t have to worry about getting your pan back! These cake bars made for super happy kids, and easy clean-up made for a happy mom. It’s a win folks.
And speaking of winning…the nice people over at Chinet would love for a Makin’ it Mo’Betta reader to win a set of Chinet Bakeware to try out for themselves! One winner will receive a set of bakeware in each size. More info after the recipe…
Easy Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 1 box cake mix (I used Dark Chocolate)
- 1 small box Jello instant pudding (I used Sugar Free/Fat Free chocolate)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup applesauce*
- 1/4 cup canola oil*
- 2 eggs (I used Egg Beaters)
- 1/2 cup cookies n’cream and chocolate chunks (that’s what I had on hand)
- 1/2 cup M and M’s
*The original recipe calls for 3/4 cup oil. I substituted a half cup of applesauce. This changes the texture, so if you want a dense cookie bar, use more than 1/4 cup oil. My kids didn’t mind 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pudding, water, applesauce (if using), oil and eggs or Egg Beaters.
- Fold in your add-ins
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly (my batter was pretty thick).
- Bake for approx 20 minutes or until done around edges, but slightly soft in middle (if you use different ingredients, they may need to cook a little longer)
- Let cool. Top with whipped topping and sprinkles if desired!
This was a fun and easy treat to celebrate back-to-school! Now, about that giveaway…
The winner will receive a set of Chinet Bakeware including one of each size:
8×8 Square Pan
7×11 Large Oval Pan
9×11 Rectangle Pan
7.25×9 Small Oval Pan
Please enter via the Rafflecopter form. If you are viewing this in an email, you will need to click over the actual post. Shipping only available within the US.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received a complimentary set of bakeware and stipend for supplies from Chinet. All opinions are my own. This is part one of a 4 part series featuring Chinet, so if you don’t win this one, stayed tuned!